Thursday, February 19, 2015

***Warning: Incoming Blog Posts***

So. Here's the deal:
I've been mulling and tumbling ideas for a series of blog posts around in my noggin  for a LONG time about how my writing process itself is developing and changing. Both as an insight into how I do things now and how much work goes into my writing, and as a possible source of feedback.

That's right, comments and feedback on this upcoming series of posts will be greatly appreciated. I'm looking to as much to learn and improve my craft and processes as I am to tell others about them. As much as I may play at being awesome and perfect, the truth is that I'm not.

No, no! Stop weeping and tearing at your hair. It's true.

You see, I've been having a bit of performance anxiety. Before Crow's Blood I'd never written a novel before. I was an infrequent short story writer. And people that have seen CB seem to like it. It even got me an awesome agent! I'm terrified to my bones that CB2 won't live up to it. That it'll be my sophomore slump. And I don't want that (who would?).

What that all means is that I don't have a solid process to work from. I have pieces here and there, tools that I use and have found immensely helpful, and very specific ways that I do certain things. I'm looking to improve on it all, and the best way to do that is to write it all out and (hopefully) get feedback.

Topics I intend to cover (and this is by no means a static list, things may be moved around, added, or combined as I go along):

The Tools I (mis)Use
The Idea: Something from nothing.
Brainstorming: Expanding the idea.
Characters and Characterization: Who are these people?
Plot: Where are we going and why are we in this hand-basket?
Outlining vs Pantsing: Why choose just one?
Worldbuilding: It's in the details.
Revising

No comments:

Post a Comment